Having to say goodbye





 Unfortunately I am having to end my mission trip prematurely. I thought I had contracted traveler's diarrhea for which I was prepared for but  it progressed to something worse. Despite 2 rounds of antibiotics, lots of lomotil and over 15 pounds. I have been unable to function for almost 2 weeks. The fatigue and body aches are horrible, I was tested for things like malaria, typhoid and samonella at the hospital everything came back negative Praise God but doesn't explain what is going on. They wanted me to see a GI specialist in Nairobi and I declined, I just want to come home, see my own physician. It is no fun being sick in a foreign country and not having anyone with me.  So I am heading back home Monday night.

I am disappointed that I did not accomplish all that I had hoped but I am proud of the things I was able to contribute including updating the policy and procedures of the maternity department to the latest WHO standards, that alone if they implement it will be huge. And I can still participate in things from a distance thanks to modern technology. It fun getting to interact with the nursing students. I found the Kenyans to be amazing. They love conversation and exchanging ideas. They would stop whatever they were doing to have a deep conversation. They are hard working, resourceful, compassionate and strong in their faith. They start every morning at the hospital with a mandatory prayer service, these folks know how to pray!

I took the train to Nairobi, yesterday. Besides not feeling well there was a bunch of screaming babies and the guy next to me put away about 4 big boy Tusker beers, which he kept having to go to the bathroom and he was getting very amorous with his lady friend, the drunker her got. The saving grace was the views from the train seeing herds of zebra and gazelles were a nice distraction. I was very spoiled in Mutomo, it was so quiet there. The sounds of the birds chirping, school kids singing and the distant buzz of the boda-boda motorcycles and mosquitoes. Rarely there was the sound a big truck lumbering through town. No sounds of planes, horns or shouting. Nairobi is very busy and noisy. 

I went on a short safari to Nairobi National Park which is huge right inside the city limits. I loaded up on Zofran and Lomotil and got through it. Saw lions a mother with 2 cubs, ostriches, giraffes, zebras, water buffalo, rhino, crocodiles with the skyline of Nairobi in the back ground. But no elephants! they said the park wasn't big enough for them. It was exciting to see 5 different species together in one place. 

I am going to try to do one more safari before I leave because I will probably not be on this side of the world again. I look forward to getting home to hot showers, charmin toilet paper, good food, ice they don;t have ice here and even cold drinks are room temperature. But safe to say I have a very different view of life, and the world and so much gratitude for the wonderful people in my life, family and friends. I do leave a part of my heart and 15 pounds in Mutomo. Look forward to catching up with y'all in person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet baby Carol Ann

Bidding goodbye to Kenya

First week